Imagine that you and a friend have tickets for a music festival which you have been paying for every month for nearly 10 years, and as you are walking towards the entrance gates a total stranger stops you in your tracks. He offers your friend an upgrade to her ticket, VIP entry, a chance to sit and chat and drink cocktails with Mick Jagger (substitute musical legend) for no extra cost. He then turns to you and says that you can have an upgrade to meet Justin Bieber but it will cost you a "hefty sum of money".
How do you feel?
- Happy for your friend.
- Decidedly miffed that for no reason your friend gets a free upgrade, but you get the chance to pay for something that you don't want.
- Extremely annoyed at the injustice of it all and pissed off with your friend who is drinking cocktails with the Rolling Stones, flicking the Bird at you and laughing at your anger.
- Want to punch the lights out of the man that offered you a chance to meet Justin Bieber.
For the sake of clarity I would to clear up a few points:
- I am not in favour of "Gifts for All" in game. The result is that nobody uses them because they are not unique, and they are not earned.
- I am not in favour of buying Mounts and Pets for real money. I want to pay a subscription so that I don't need to deal with micro-transactions, I suffer from buyer remorse especially when it is non tangible, pixel reward.
- I am not in favour of rewards for being male/female, Horde/Alliance, based on the type of Armour I wear and definitely not based on a toss of coin/roll of a die.
Can you imagine how angry the players would be if all Canadian's got a free Mount and embody in the USA needed to buy their version? and the Canadians kept coming onto the forums to troll the angry Americans. The following is a sample of the comments from WoW Insider. Please excuse the language.